It is important to own a best budget bike computer if you love riding your mountain bike and have future goals regarding this sport. With the help of the best cycle computer for mountain biking, you can keep track of your activity and improvisation. In this post, we will be reviewing two of the best odometers or speedometers for you that you can get on a budget. After weeks of research and testing, we discovered that the best cheap cycle computer for mountain biking is the Cat Eye Velo 7.
Cat Eye Velo 7 is indisputably the best cheap cycle computer that comes with wired sensors. It is an ultra-cycle computer which has all the basics packed into it and is still really affordable to invest in.
WHY IS IT THE BEST?
Cat Eye Velo 7 is the best speedometer for mountain bike and is considered as one of the finest entry-level cycling computers too. With the price tag being as low as $25, here is why our team thinks that this is the best choice to make!
- Very affordable.
- Simple and easy to use.
- Easy to set up.
- Water Resistant.
- Larger Display.
- Comes with all the basics that the best odometer must have.
Before we go into an in-depth review of Cat Eye Velo 7, we would like to share our 2nd choice with you!
SOONGO BIKE COMPUTER (Our 2nd choice)
SoonGo is the second best budget bike computer to invest in. This bike computer comes with various features which a good speedometer must possess.
Here is a list of features that you get along with this best cheap cycle computer.
- Maximum and average speed.
- Stop and Start Function.
- Distance tracking.
- Maintenance alert.
- Complete Riding Time.
- Quick responding buttons.
- Back Light for night usage.
- Automatic sleep and wake-up feature.
What’s Inside the Package?
There is a lot that you get in the box of this best cycle computer for mountain bike.
Here is a list of everything you will get inside the box of SoonGo Cycle Computer:
- A computer unit
- 2 Slice Stickers
- A Magnet
- A mount
- User Manual
- Safety warning light
- 2 batteries
- A sensor
Why is it not our 1st choice?
So despite so many features and specs, why is SoonGo the 2nd best budget bike computer to invest in? Here are some reasons why it falls back in the competition with Cat Eye Velo 7.
- The unit of SoonGo is a little hard to install because the instructions in the manual are not very comprehensive.
- The head unit rattles and this issue is by a defect in it so there is nothing that can be done to fix it.
- The biggest disappointment with this device is that it is not water resistant although it claims to be. It can be damaged inside water so it is better to not try taking it in water at all.
Why it’s still Awesome?
- SoonGo is definitely the best cheap cycle computer that comes with a price tag of just $12.99.
- There are some clear issues with it but if you want something for this cheap, this one is a really good choice to make.
- It does perform fine once you set it up, you are good to go.
- The distance tracking feature works smoothly.
Pros. & Cons.
- Great value for money.
- Variety of functions.
- The best budget bike computer for all ages.
- Great distance tracking.
- Hard to install.
- Not very user-friendly.
- Not water resistant as promised.
- The backlight isn’t long lasting.
- The plastic brackets can break very easily.
CAT EYE VELO 7 (Editor’s Choice)
- ALL YOUR FAVORITE STATS: Displays current, max, and average speed, total distance, trip distance, elapsed time, pace arrow, and clock.
- DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STOPS: Caught at a red light? Stopping for coffee? We've got you covered. Your CatEye computer knows when you've stopped and automatically stops counting time and averaging speed.
- WIRED SENSOR: The Velo 7 comes with a wired speed sensor.
- GO THE DISTANCE: With a battery that lasts up to three years, you can install it and forget about it.
Here is a list of features that Cat Eye Velo 7 promises to deliver:
- Water Resistant.
- Wired Speed Sensor.
- Total Time Riding.
- Maximum and Average Speed.
- Trip Distance.
- Elapsed Time.
Cat Eye has been on the market for a long time but the Velo 7 is certainly one of the neatest and best budget bike computers you can invest in. it is very affordable and has almost all the features that bikers and cyclers would look forward to. It is great for beginners, intermediates and even for the pros as it helps you track and measure your performance in a very fine manner.
A lot of people would love a wireless bike computer but this one brings in great attachment and wired computers have been in the biker’s world since years, so that is not a big deal. Also, unlike the SoonGo Computer, this one actually is water resistant. We had really slight moisture get into the watch and it didn’t get any issues, once the battery was taken out and dried. However, we do recommend that you dry out the battery compartment as soon as possible.
This beauty is certainly the best cycle computer for mountain bike because it offers tracking of your speed, distance, time and also has an odometer. Also, the battery of this device lasts up for around 3 years and that seems to make it the best cheap cycle computer to possess.
Here is a quick breakdown of Cat Eye Velo 7’s pros and cons. It certainly has a lot of perks to offer which makes it the best speedometer for mountain bike and also the best cheap cycle computer a cycler can purchase.
Pros. & Cons.
- Long lasting battery.
- Very easy to install.
- Suitable for all ages and levels.
- Great display for all the functions.
- Auto stop and start.
- Water Resistant.
- Mounting could have been better.
- The wire is a bit short.
In the end, we consider Cat Eye Velo 7 the best cheap cycle computer that one must invest in. if you are a new cycler, you will get a manual handy which is very easy to understand. This best cycle computer for mountain bike definitely has a lot of goodness packed within it, for just $25.
However, if you are low on budget then you can opt for SoonGo too. It is a little hard to install and understand but once you do get it installed and setup, you can use it really well too.
SoonGo is certainly the best budget bike computer but it does lack some features that it otherwise promises. For instance, it is not water resistant even though it says that it is. Also, if you practice at night a lot, you might be disappointed by the promise of their amazing backlight too as it does not last long. But if we look on the brighter side, it comes with a price tag as low as $12.99 which makes it worth a catch too. If you have a small budget, you can opt for this best cycle computer for mountain bike practice.
To conclude it all off, we would highly recommend Cat Eye Velo 7 as the best cheap cycle computer that you can own. It is inexpensive according to the ease of use it brings along and has amazing features too which brings in accuracy to your tracking capabilities. The choice is now yours to make! Both of these devices have been researched and tested by our team and we think that they both are great and the best speedometer for a mountain bike that you can choose from. They are affordable and have everything you want; what else would one ask for? Grab the best budget bike computer for yourself right away and gear up your cycling game!